News, views and what I choose to dos

What the hell is wrong with 123-Reg?

Category : Internet, Journalism · by Sep 17th, 2006

There is something seriously wrong with 123-Reg – previously the best domain purchasing company in the UK.

Today, I have moved my JaysonBlair.com domain and hosting deal from them for the simple reason that… the website had completely disappeared! The hosting deal must have come to an end and yet somewhere, somehow it fell through the cracks and 123-Reg failed to tell me. I was so gobsmacked I have shifted everything over to GoDaddy.

This isn’t the only time I’ve had trouble with 123-Reg recently either – and I can see from looking on the Net that I’m not alone.

123-Reg’s support – ever since Pipex took them over, and then again recently while Pipex is going through some strange changes – has gone from bad to absolutely pointless.

I had to kill my blog with them and shift hosting because they were so completely useless and unhelpful. I hit a bandwidth limit, but rather than be informed, they just killed it. I was happy to pay for more bandwidth – which I did – but it didn’t work and they basically said they didn’t care. So I moved my hosting.

I also shifted the hosting for my Sexdotcom.info site, because they were so unhelpful and so restrictive with their hosting deals. And I don’t think I’ll bother renewing my hosting deals for my other sites when they come for renewal either (assuming of course that 123-Reg bothers to tell me).

It’s not just me and it’s not just hosting either. There is an extraordinary post on the influential UK mailing list at Deleting.co.uk entitled “R.I.P 123, is this the end for 123-reg?” The complaint was very worrying: “I registered a domain several hours ago with 123-reg.co.uk, the money was taken, yet the domain is still not registered. Anyone can go and register it.”

And again on the My Two Cents blog, Shari says, no, shouts “BOYCOTT 123-REG.CO.UK!” She has also shifted over to GoDaddy because: “My password needed to be reset since early June so I could renew a domain for my husband! And what happens?? 3 MONTHS LATER and the LOSS of my husbands domain to finally get it reset!!! Talk about BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE! I emailed them several times a day since June and FINALLY 2 weeks ago they reset my password… but 2 MONTHS TOO LATE!”

Something has gone very, very wrong at 123-Reg and it is directly impinging on its core technical functions. What a way to squander a reputation. I’m simply not going to stay with a company that I can’t trust to look after my domains or hosting deals.

SHARE :

(112) comments

Phil M
3 years ago ·

I have 20 domains with 123reg all set to auto renew. One, the most important did not auto renew. I’ve used back order, 3 tickets later and I am just fobbed off. They have given me duff information. This is a major issue for me as the domain is now parked and I’m being asked $0000s to get it back. 123 reg just don’t won’t to know and not one of their responses has been satisfactory. It’s very frustrating but I am not going to give up as their system failed. It is like dealing with British Gas!

Jack
3 years ago ·

What a HUGE mistake it was for me to pick 123 reg. I am tearing my hair out right now because I can’t even install WordPress. Seems their database host names they have provided are a load of bollox. No matter how many of the stupid number of database names I enter, not a single one of them actually works. The whole CPanel is a mess too. And no WordPress installation option in sight anymore. This website as a whole looks like it was built by some retarded university student. I only decided to use it due to its popularity, and I sorely regret that now. They seem to be popular for their infamy more than anything.

Paul
3 years ago ·

I would strongly recommend avoiding this terrible company – they are genuinely the worst I’ve ever dealt with. Their unlimited hosting package is unable to deal with a simple wp site and their customer support is extremely poor!

Here’s a review I wrote on my site recently after they killed my rankings due to around two months of unexplained downtime and slow loading – http://www.paulnrogers.co.uk/review-123-reg-hosting-services/

Do not use them!!!!

Chris
2 years ago ·

Every bloody time that 123-reg redesign their website and slap a load more eye-candy, it seems to get more and more useless and slower to load.

Most recent change they’ve done is to the domain forwarding list.
Previously you’d get a nice long list of your forwarded email addresses, but now they’ve ‘web 2.0-ed’ it by adding silly js boxes and large colourful buttons. It’s like “My first domain registration”.

The real kicker? It now takes longer just to see all your email addresses; the view by goes upto 25 addresses per page only. The old pages were ugly as sin, but they actually worked.

The new floaty box thing to add another forwarder is unresponsive and buggy, and doesn’t update properly.

Load of cack.

David
2 years ago ·

If you do have a problem with 123-reg.co.uk you can ask for help and advise from ICANN – http://www.icann.org/en/help/dispute-resolution .123-reg have to abide by the legislation set by ICANN. after submitting a complaint, they helped me get a refund from 123-reg.co.uk

Phill
2 years ago ·

Just like to say 123Reg have now taken over from BT & Ryanair on my all time top 3 of crap companies with NO customer service,
1- 123Reg
2-BT
3- Ryanair
if anyone is thinking of using them please do yourself the biggest favour of all time…AVOID 123Reg
Phill

Jay
2 years ago ·

I cannot believe how incompetent 123reg have now become, not only do they treble charge you for your domain names, charge you when they have not reserved the name, I paid for my Lumizon.de and kept getting letters from the German domain holders saying that I had not paid. I sent them copy of the invoice from 123 reg only to find that they were correct and 123 had charged me but not purchased it. I have found several other that I have paid for that are still available on the open market.

They refunded me the initial over charged amount but I cannot access my complaint ticket on their system to see what they have done with the other errors, as they have also now closed the ticket on their system. Once I can get these issues sorted will transfer all my domain names.

To add insult to injury they sent me a customer service survey to complete on their customer support, so typical you cannot complete the survey due to an error on the page:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS AS THEY WILL CHARGE YOU DUPLICATE PAYMENTS AND THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN TRULY CHECK IF THEY PURCHASED THE DOMAIN NAMES IS TO CHECK ON OPEN MARKET, RENEWAL PROCESS RANDOMLY FAILS AND YOU CAN END UP LOSING YOUR DOMAINS EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE PAID FOR THEM!

I do not know what has gone so badly wrong with this company the only things they are now missing are cowboys hats and spurs!

cathy
1 year ago ·

I can’t get 123Reg to take my money to renew my subscription as they don’t believe I am who I say I am – I have moved house and bank account since I last renewed 3 years ago.
Can I get another company to do it instead? All I am getting from them is useless chat support and requests for information I can’t provide.
Meanwhile, no email, no blog and my domains could be snatched by other people.

Keely Harris
1 year ago ·

Basically they are sh*t. It’s the only way to describe them. How can I run a business when I can’t even GET IN TO my emails??????????????
DO NOT USE 123, they are nothing but hassle, trouble and you can’t even get in touch with support!!!!!!!!
AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Neill Tucker
11 months ago ·

Hi all,

I’ve been with 123-reg for around 10 years and although I have not had any problems with my actual website, logging in to manage my site and access things like stats has become a nightmare. OK, I’m still on dial-up because broadband hasn’t found our corner of France yet. However, I can still buy something on amazon, find and buy something on Ebay and order some airline tickets faster than I can access my 123-reg account details – what the hell is their site doing that is so complicated?!!!! Or, are they just so busy trying to flog more services they’ve completely forgotten about serving their existing customers efficiently?

Sorry for the grumble, but I really needed to get that off my chest.

Neill

sean browne
10 months ago ·

I would just like to agree with everyone. 123-Reg are appauling and I am looking right now for a new home for my 100+ domains.
I should have moved ages ago.
* 123-reg review – Avoid like the plague *