News, views and what I choose to dos

Number one and two in WHSmith Heathrow

Category : Internet, Journalism, Sex.com · by May 17th, 2007

I’ve just been sent this pic by my mate Ross who snapped it with his phone at WHSmith in Heathrow airport. It shows my book resting at number 12 in the Business and Management section. Obviously there’s been some terrible error and the staff has mistakenly put it as “12” rather than both “1” and “2” as was surely intended, but that pleasing, ain’t it?

I have yet to see my book in the real world in a bookstore. I’m looking forward to it. I can’t help but think now of all the times I have scanned the book shelves of the newsagents in Heathrow pondering whether to buy a book or a newspaper – and usually just bought the newspaper. I wonder if each of the books in the paper has seen each author go through the same sort of process/journey/whatever I have. Anyway, with luck, I shall manage to bump up the charts once a few reviews come in (I am assuming of course that reviews *will* come in and that they’ll like it).

Plus, some good news, it looks like Gary Kremen is going to be in town for the book launch on 29 May. So that should be terrific. Again, if anyone wants to come – London, Tues 29 May. You need an invite but just ask.

SHARE :

(10) comments

Joanna Witt
10 years ago ·

I’m really enjoying it, and am carrying it around blazonly on tubes, buses and within the tech department of the BBC.

Luce
10 years ago ·

I’ll be reviewing it for El Reg soon as I’ve finished it. I am mentally compsing my disclaimer in which I have to admit that we’re mates…only fair.

Kieren
10 years ago ·

Hey Jo – glad to hear it. Keep waving it about. Some fool will be encouraged to buy it.

Kieren

Kieren
10 years ago ·

Cool. Promise me you won’t hold off on criticism though just because it’s me.

Did I send you an invite to the launch party? I don’t think I did.

Kieren

Jo
10 years ago ·

Will do – it’s getting some lingering looks on the tube. Have a copy on my desk too so the techies get a glimpse when I’ve accidentally broken the website…

Tommy
10 years ago ·

Hi Kieren
Good luck with the book mate Going out to buy my copies today

[…] To match up with a similar photo on his blog, here’s a picture of Kieren McCarthy’s hot-off-the-presses book on the battle (by legal and other means) to secure control of the domain name sex.com (go ahead and click it, it’s just a search page!) […]

Paul Levins
10 years ago ·

I think it’s one of the best examples of push communications I’ve ever seen. You should do more…..

Kieren
10 years ago ·

LOL. This, for people that don’t know, is my boss hassling me for some work I should have completed a week ago.

I’ve had my mum on my blog harassing me, now my boss – welcome to communication 21st century style.

Kieren

Luce
10 years ago ·

Hold off criticism? As if… ;-)