News, views and what I choose to dos

The New Seven Wonders of the World

Category : Journalism · by Jul 8th, 2007

About nine months ago, I wrote a post about there being an effort by UNESCO to decide a new set of Seven Wonders of the World. Well, the results are in.

And, by popular vote, they are:

• Chichén Itzá, Mexico
  • Christ Redeemer, Brazil
  • The Great Wall, China
  • Machu Picchu, Peru
  • Petra, Jordan
  • The Roman Colloseum, Italy
  • The Taj Mahal, India

I sent in my list, which included three of the seven. And I’ve only been to two (Chichen Itza and the Colliseum). But I’ll be in Rio in November so I should be able to see Christ the Redeemer then. Anyway, I’ll grab some pics off the Net of the Seven Wonders to inspire awe and wonder on a tired, lazy Sunday.

Actually, I am again in awe of Google Earth: have paid the various sites a visit – not only can you grab others’ photos attached through Panoramio but also fly around them. Absolutely extraordinary technology. I love the Internet.

Chichen Itza

Christ Redeemer

The Great Wall of China

Macchu Picchu

Petra

Colloseum

Taj Mahal

SHARE :

(8) comments

[...] YouTube Link to Article google The New Seven Wonders of the World » Posted at kierenmccarthy.co.uk on Sunday, July 08, 2007 About nine months ago, I wrote a post about there being an effort by UNESCO to decide a new set of Seven Wonders of the World … on a tired, lazy Sunday. Actually, I am again in awe of Google Earth: have paid the various sites View Entire Article » [...]

Toby
7 years ago ·

Kieren, you ignorant slut. I lost your email (well old computer where it was stored, got nicked) and looked in vain over your website.
Anyway, Happy B-day.

Kieren
7 years ago ·

What are you talking about Toby, you fool?

My birthday is not until 12 August. And if you need to know my email it is very complex – kieren at kieren mccarthy dot co dot uk. Although I will also pick up anything sent to kierenmccarthy.com as well.

How are you? Still in Bogota? I pondered coming to see you last week because I was in Puerto Rico, but I was too worn down from a month working on the road.

Send me an email telling me what’s new.

Kieren

Farid
7 years ago ·

hyped up jesus
Stand on the waterfront in Niteroi and look across the bay to the Jesus statue in Rio and you may notice seems smaller and less significant than a near by Mobile phone antennae.
But on postcards and brochures to attract the tourists, it most likely function it looks great
If looking for a real modern day wonder in Brasil maybe eyes should be turned to the capital city a living museaum of modern architecture designed to the shape of an airplane. Or indeed to the mobile phone antennae that brings telecomminications to the Amazon.

[...] Click here to find out which sites were eventually chosen to be the New Seven Wonders [...]

wennie
4 years ago ·

OMG!!!!
no wonder why they are called The 7 Wonders of the World!!they’re wonderful,beautiful,unbelievable and etc..
but I wonder why does the Underground River of the Philippines was not included..tsk tsk.

Agatha
4 years ago ·

Ohh my .
I don’t believe this .
Philippines does not belong in the New Seven Wonders of the Worlds. The Oldest Places named Rice Terraces and Chocolate Hills i think. I think, Philippines was a very beautiful places because we can see their natural resources and their wonderful nature. It seem’s Philippines has a great natural sources and wonderful nature in the world.

Agatha

namanya paul
2 years ago ·

the snowcapped rwenzori in Uganda with the equator over it is worth being in the seven wonders of the world